Carrot halwa recipe (Gajar ka halwa), How to make halwa? Carrot halwa Recipe with step by step photos and video. This recipe shares the traditional
Hey guys, do you know that gajar ka halwa is very famous Indian sweed dish. This gajar ka halwa is also called as Carrot halwa Recipe. This recipe shares with you the traditional way of making delicious suji ka halwa ,gajar ka halwa without any shortcuts. By the way, in Punjab it is called halwa as Gajrela.
During the winters season, we make gajar ka halwa mostly. It is a very popular sweet made in the north India made during winters.
This traditional halwa recipe requires just full-fat milk, ghee and sugar to make the halwa. you do not need khoya or the condensed milk.
We prefer to use red carrots to make the halwa as they are tender and juicy. On occasions, i have also tried to make halwa with the orange carrots. Otherwise You can use any carrots such as red or orange . But just ensure that they are not fibrous & dense.
Many of the people like to make the moong dal halwa , halwa , sohan halwa , badam halwa , bread halwa , pumkin halwa , kerala halwa , Karachi halwa , beetroot halwa , halwa fish and other halwa recipes but out of all these gajar ka halwa is most popular.
Tips For Making Best Carrot Halwa
1) You can grate these carrots manually or in a food processor. But food processor makes our carrot grating easier.
2) To make gajar ka halwa it is very important to buy juicy carrots so that they are very easy to grate. For this Some arm work is required to make this halwa , as you have to first grate these carrots and then slowly cook them on gas and keep on stirring them on the regular intervals
3) I suggest you to use a heavy iron kadai for making the halwa. Stir it continusly So that it should not get burnt, a good kadai makes our job easier. As per your wish You can also use a non-stick kadai pan.
- 5 to 6 green cardamom – powdered finely in a mortar-pestle or 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 10 to 12 whole cashews chopped
- 10 to 12 almonds – sliced
- 2 tbsps golden raisins
- 1 pinch saffron strands optional
- 8 to 9 medium tender juicy carrots ie, 650 grams 4 cups full fat organic milk
- 4 tbsps ghee
- 10 to 12 tbsps regular sugar or or 180 to 190 grams sugar – add as required
How To Make Halwa | How to make sooji halwa
1. First rinse, peel 650 grams carrots ie, 8 to 9 medium-sized juicy carrots
2. Then grate the carrots either with a hand-held grater or in food processor. For this you will need about 4 to 4.5 cups grated carrots.
3. after this in a heavy kadai , add all the grated carrots.
4. Now Pour 4 cups of full-fat milk. And Switch on the burner.
5.Then mix the carrots we have grated and the milk together.
6. Cook this mixture slowly on a low to medium flame. After some min , the milk will start to froth first and then start reducing slowly and slowly
7. Just Keep on stirring this halwa mixture regularly . Keep on scraping the sides of the kadai for removing the evaporated milk solids which are sticked. Then add the milk solids into the cooking mixture.
8. Simmer carrots in the milk and stir also at some intervals, so that the milk does not gets stick to the bottom of the pan.
9. Cook the carrot + milk mixture till milk is reduced to 25%.
10. Then add 4 tbsps of ghee .please do note that , some milk will be there when you add ghee.
11. Mix all the mixture very well.
12. Nextly add 10 to 12 tbsps of sugar or as you require.
13. now add 5 to 6 green cardamom, which is powdered finely in a mortar-pestle / about ⅓ to 1 tsp of cardamom powder
14.Mix it very well.
15. Continue to simmer on a low flame. Do stir often.
16. Simmer it , till the mixture of halwa starts to thicken and reduces more and continue Stiring.
17. now when the halwa has reduced much & you see a very little milk like that of a pudding consistency. Then add , nuts & dry fruits. These you can add your choice of nuts and dry fruits. I usually add 12 almonds ,12 cashews and 2 tbsps golden raisins. Then chop the nuts before you add it. Raisins can be kept whole.
18. Mix it again and continue stiring and simmer.
19. Continuesly Simmer till the whole halwa mixture becomes dry. Here the milk should evaporate completely and you will see fine milk solids in the halwa. you will also see that some ghee being released from the sides of halwa.\
20. Remember to scrape the milk solids stuck at the sides of kadai or pan and add all of them to the gajar halwa.
Finally Serve gajar ka halwa hot . you can refrigerate the leftovers. You can Garnish halwa with some chopped dry fruits while serving.
Storing & Serving
1. You can store halwa in the fridge. it can stay well for almost a week. while serving, you can just warm the halwa & then serve.
2. In the cold winters of north India, halwa is served hot or warm.