Eggless sponge cake recipe made in cooker with step by step photos. Spongy and a soft, light textured delicious egg free sponge cake recipe made in a pressure cooker.
Servings: 1 SMALL CAKE
- (1 CUP = 250 ML)
dry ingredients to be sifted
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida) or 105 grams maida
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
ingredients for the butter+condensed milk mixture
- ¼ cup salted butter or 40 grams butter – you can also use unsalted butter
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk or 125 ml or 125 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup sea salt or river sand in pressure cooker
- First grease a 5.5 inches (diameter) and 2.75 inches (height) pan very well with some butter. Keep aside.
- Take a 5 to 6 litre pressure cooker. Remove the gasket (rubber ring) from the lid. Also remove the vent weight (whistle).
- Now place the cooker on a low flame on a stove top.
- Keep the flame lowest or sim. Also add 1 cup sea salt in the cooker. Spread the sea salt evenly in the cooker.
making cake batter
- Place a mixing bowl beneath a sieve. Add 1 cup all purpose flour (maida) and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder in the seive. If using unsalted butter, then you can add a light pinch of salt in the flour. Sift once.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence all over the flour. You can also add vanilla extract later after mixing the batter.
- In a pan, take 1/4 cup salted butter, 1/2 cup condensed milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1/3 cup water. I used organic unrefined cane sugar. You can also use regular sugar.
- Place the pan on stove top and heat this mixture on a low flame.
- Stir with a spatula so that the butter melts. Mix everything very well with the spatula.
- Let this mixture come to a boil on a low flame.
- When this mixture comes to a boil, then immediately add it in the flour mixture.
- With a wired whisk begin to mix with a light pressure, so that over mixing does not happen.
- While mixing you will come to know if the batter is going to be thick or too thick. The batter in this recipe is of medium consistency – neither thick nor thin.
- Depending on the quality of flour, you may need to add less or more water. If the batter becomes thick, then do add ¼ cup more hot water. So do keep some hot water handy.
- Whisk to a smooth batter, but don't over do the mixing. If there are small tiny lumps in the batter, then its fine.
- Now pour the batter in the pan. Gently shake the pan or tap the sides.
making cake in cooker
- Keep a heat proof stand or rack in the cooker.
- Place the cake pan in the cooker.
- Secure the lid firmly and tightly on the cooker. Do remember to remove the vent weight (whistle).
- Bake sponge cake on a low flame or sim, till the cake turns golden. It took about 50 minutes for the cake to bake in the 5 litre pressure cooker I used.
- So consider an average time of 35 minutes to 50 minutes, depending on the size of the cooker, the size & quality of the cake pan and the intensity of the flame. You can check the cake while its baking, by removing the lid.
- he top should be golden and When you insert a tooth pick in the center of the cooker cake, it should come out clean or with a few cake crumbs, with no sticky batter on it.
- Let the cake become warm or cool down at room temperature.
- Then remove the cake gently from the mould. Serve cooker cake warm or at room temperature. If you want, you can also frost the sponge cake with any icing of your choice. Refrigerate the leftovers.
Tips for making cake in cooker
- You can also use unsalted butter. If using unsalted butter, then add a pinch of salt while sifting the flour.
- Substitute for butter is 1/4 cup oil. You can use a neutral flavored oil like sunflower oil or even olive oil can be used.
- Ghee can also be used instead of butter.