it is one of the best cookies in the world, and it’s also one of the simplest. All you need is
3) powdered sugar/ icing sugar
Why is it known as shortbread recipe?
These bread cookies are called as Shortbread because the term ‘short’ is used to explain pastries and cookies with a tender, crumbly melt in your mouth textured.
How to make Shortbread Cookies?
• 250g salted butter; softened (2 sticks, 1 cup)
• 3/4 cup 90g of icing sugar
• 2 cups of 300g plain or all purpose flour
1. First Preheat oven to temp 160C/325F or 150C/300F.
2. Butter and line a 31 x 23cm ie, 9 x 13″ pan with baking paper with the overhang.
3. Beat butter until it gets smooth (or use very soft butter and a wooden spoon). Add icing sugar and beat it until get combined.
4. Then Add half of the flour and beat it until mostly combined – it will resemble wet sand. Then after beat in remainder. Use can use your hands to bring it together into a smoothen ball of dough ,press it lightly if required.
5. Now, Roughly press down it into a rectangle shape, then transfer it into the pan. Press the dough into the pan. Optional: u can Roll over the top using a small rolling pin or hard glass for a smooth surface. Don’t press too hard or will it make the cookies firme.
6. Bake it for 20 min until edges are very light golden & most of the surface gets pale gold.
7. Next step ,Remove it from the oven. Working fast, cut into required shape.
8. Go back to the oven for 8 min or until the surface gets light golden not exactly brown. Turn off the oven, crack it open ajar; then leave to there cool to at least 1 hr in the oven.
9. Finally Remove from the oven, always use paper overhang for removing the biscuits from pan. Cool fully on the rack. Serve it with the tea..
10. Now enjoy its taste in mouth.
1.FLOUR of rice: This recipe makes shortbread that is tender enough so you donot need rice flour. You can use it as per requirement , the difference is negligible. Just swap out one fourth cup of the flour with rice flour and add it with flour.
2. SUGAR:mostly I prefer to use icing sugar because its grains are finer so you can get a smooth finish on the surface. As icing sugar is about half the sweeter as sugar by volume.
The icing sugar can be replaced with 1/2 cup of white sugar + 2 tbs flour.
3. FOOD PROCESSOR: Instead of creaming softened butter, the other method is to rub the butter in. This have a more crumbly shortbread, but the surface is rougher – see comparison photo in post. If you wish to use this method , this is how to do it:
4. WEATHER WARNING!! If it is very hot where you have very hot hands with butter rubbing method, press the dough into the pan then refrigerate for 20 minutes or until chilled.
5. store it in an airtight container for about 3 days or in freezer long up to 2 months.