Kadai paneer recipe is a simple yet amazingly flavourful paneer recipe made by cooking paneer and bell peppers with fresh ground spices
What is Kadai Paneer?
As we know it is a popular paneer recipe where, paneer and bell peppers are cooked in the spicy masala.
this is one of the most popular paneer recipes available. It is there on the menu in almost all the Indian restaurants.
Kadai is a like a wok which is commonly used in Indian cooking. We use this to make stir fry and all sorts of things and also use it for deep frying snacks & sweets.
The name is its because it’s cooked in a kadai.it is best enjoyed with naan or roti!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
Calories: 312 kcal
- 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon of butter, unsalted
- one tablespoon of oil, 15 ml.,
- one medium size red onion 150 grams & finely chopped
- 1 green chili sliced
- 2 teaspoons of ginger garlic paste
- 3 medium tomatoes 450 grams of finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon of kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 inch ginger, julienned divided
- 1/2 cup of water, 120 ml
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream, 30 ml
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large green capsicum, cut it into 1-inch pieces
- Take 225 grams paneer cubed,
- 1 teaspoon of kasuri methi, dried fenugreek leaves
- cilantro, to garnish
Make the Kadai Masala
1. To a small kadai, dry roast the spices for the kadai masala for 3 to 4 min on medium heat until fragrant comes. Add more red chilies for a spicyness.
2. Remove the kadai from heat and transfer the roasted spices to spice grinder.
3. Let it cools down a bit and then grind it to a fine powder,Set aside. You can also prepare this kadai masala in advance.
Make the Kadai Paneer
1. In a large kadai, now melt the butter with oil on medium heat.
2. Add chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes until gets soft. Then add sliced green chili and ginger garlic paste & saute for another 1 – 2 minutes.
3. Then add chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix and cook it for around 6 minutes until tomatoes gets really soft.
4. Then add 3 – 4 teaspoons of the kadai masala that you have prepared earlier. Also add the garam masala , kashmiri red chili powder to it.
5. Add half of ginger julienne. Stir the spices and cook it for 30 sec.
6. Then add half cup water & stir.
7. Add cream, salt and sugar and mix. Cook for one minute.
8. Add in paneer and capsicum and mix. Cover the pan or kadai with a lid & cook for 5 to 6 minutes on medium heat until bell peppers are slightly soft. You only want them to half cooked here.
9. Crush the kasuri methi and add it to the pan.
10. Garnish it with remaining ginger julienne & cilantro. Serve it with naan roti or paratha.
- always use double the amount of red chilies while prepairing the kadai masala.
- use whole kadai masala in the recipe. I have used 3- 4 teaspoons of the masala and was left with some.
- use half teaspoon garam masala in place of 1/4.